Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lesson 21: Whale Spouts

Last Sunday we had the Primary program in church where all the kids had talks and sang the songs they have been learning this year.  Belle's talk was about Jonah.  She wrote it herself, memorized it, and got up in front of everybody to say it.  I am really proud of her!  For the special occasion, she wore her sailor dress to remind her to be brave and sail to Nineveh (not Tarshish).  We made whale spouts in her hair to go along with the theme.  Here's how:
First put the hair into pigtails and braid down.  I could have done a hawser rope to really go along with the theme, but I didn't want to go overboard. (lol)
Next, bring the end of one braid up through a twist or two of the hairband.  I used my topsy tailer to make it easier, but you could just shove it through with your fingers.
Belle's hair was dry so the ends stuck up straight like this.
I sprayed them down with my trusty water bottle and combed through them to make sure every piece was damp.  The weight of the water pulls the hair down, and it stays down once it has dried.
Repeat on the other side.  Cover up the hairbands with ribbons, if you want.  (Ours are mismatched, but it's all we had.)  Isn't she "like a star shining brightly?"


Here is one of the songs Belle loves to sing.  Click here to hear it.
I am like a star shining brightly,
Smiling for the whole world to see.
I can do and say happy things each day,
For I know Heavenly Father loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment