Monday, September 17, 2012

Dorothy Gale Hairstyle (Wizard of Oz)


When I was a little girl, The Wizard of Oz would come on TV every once in a while on a holiday.  I loved watching it with my family. I always thought Judy Garland was gorgeous.  I once heard a rumor that Shirley Temple was considered for the part of Dorothy.  Certainly this wouldn't have been her hairstyle.

Start with a part down the center.  (I've altered it a bit here to accommodate for Belle's front side cowlick by beginning the part at the side and curving it to the middle for a centered part at the back.)  Clip one side of hair out of the way temporarily.  Starting at the forehead, make a rolled twist to about 3/4 of the way down the side.  Twist the hair, and gradually add in more and more as you go down, using a comb to smooth it out along the way if you need to.
Insert a bobby pin at the bottom (going toward the top) so that the last bit of hair to be twisted back is stuck down with the hair at the scalp.  Make sure the pin is hidden within the roll of hair.  If you look carefully in this picture, you can see where I'm putting the bobby pin (I use two hands when I'm not holding the camera!)
For the last half, you will french braid. Using the twist and some new hair from the side, you'll get your first two sections for braiding.
Gather up the third section from the top.
Continue french braiding.  Fasten it off when you are a couple inches down, leaving long tails you can curl.  Repeat on the other side, and add bows, if you like.
Belle wore this as an everyday hairstyle, so I skipped the bows and curls.  I don't know if this is exactly how Ms. Garland wore hers in the movie, but this is what it looks like to me.

27 comments:

  1. Judy Garland actually wore her braids more to the front. Good job though. Beautiful Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Judy Garland actually wore her braids more to the front."
    seriously! what is it with some people?! what does that comment add to this post?

    (btw, I read... well mostly looked at the photos as I'm writing a book based in part on the Wizard of Oz and, being a guy, couldn't figure out how to refer to Dorothy Gale's hairstyle and so... google to the rescue)
    thank you for the key information: Braids! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She asked at the ending of the post if that was the way she wore it at the film. He/she was just answering her. Read the complete post before criticising the comments! If you did, you'd also have noticed they are not simple braids, but half french braids and half bows. With a roll on the top.

      Delete
    2. (sorry for my English btw)

      Delete
    3. Dear Anonymous, There actually was no question asked regarding the way the braids were worn or even that they were "simple". The author made an "I don't know if..." statement and made it clear that it was their interpretation of how the style was worn. Perhaps you should re-read the original post and all comments, including yours, "before criticising the comments." -signed, I personally found the post and pictures helpful. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Looks close enough to the real thing for me - and now I need someone to come do this to my hair RIGHT NOW!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all read this post complete all most this style is perfect for tall girl hairstyles and brides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no point in pursuing the violin because somebody else wants you to. Learning the violin online is very convenient for you. viola teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you to sharing this informative blog. i really happy and appreciate you. keep updates to write new blogs. if you need any clarification regarding makeups visit our website.
    Best fashion beauty blogger in mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added this webpage to my feed reader, great stuff. Cannot get enough! Visit Website

    ReplyDelete